Spark Change – Volunteer with FLY
Our fantastic network of volunteers has helped us achieve incredible results! Last year alone, 178 volunteers provided nearly 8,000 hours of service. We are always looking for energetic individuals to become mentors or facilitate our law classes. We provide excellent training and support throughout your time with us. Or perhaps you would like to complete an internship with FLY or contribute other talents and skills. As part of the FLY family, you will create hope and spark change in young lives! For more information about volunteering, contact Reyna Martinez, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 408-881-4529.
Be a Mentor
FLY mentors are matched with youth on probation in Santa Clara County who are looking for positive and healthy adult role models. Through the program, youth learn to judge their choices and have a consistent sounding board and caring person in their life. As a result, they make better life decisions.
- Mentors must be 21 years or older.
- Mentors must be willing to meet one-on-one weekly with youth living in Santa Clara County.
- Fun is definitely a big part of the program! Mentors participate in free monthly activities with their mentees throughout the year such as white water rafting, laser tag, ice skating, and a high ropes course.
- Because building trust and sparking change takes time and consistency, mentors must be willing to make a 12-month commitment.
Teach Legal Education
Research shows that youth who are exposed to legal education are less likely to break the law. FLY’s nationally recognized law curriculum uses role-play, debates, and mock trials to capture youth interest, educate them about the law, and build skills like anger management, problem solving, communication, and resisting negative peer pressure. Teams of 2-4 facilitators teach FLY’s semester-long juvenile law and life skills class to youth who are on probation or at risk of becoming involved in the juvenile justice system.
- Classes meet once a week for approximately 12 weeks.
- No prior legal education or experience is necessary — FLY provides a well-developed curriculum and training.
Other Ways You Can Volunteer with FLY
- Our Internships appeal to individuals of diverse interests and talents and all include youth program involvement and professional development opportunities. View the current list of internships and download the internship application.
- Do you have other talents and skills you are interested in sharing with FLY? Contact Michelle Sambrano, Director of Talent and Administration at email@example.com.
“When some friends asked me to hang out I say no because I know they are going to do stuff that’s illegal.”